|Marker in setting
|Tampa Chapter placed another marker, dedicated on
November 14, 1973, in Evans, Georgia, in the Walton
Family Cemetery for William Walton, Revolutionary War
soldier and relative of signer of the Declaration of
Independence, George Walton. William Walton was the
ancestor of Mrs. William T. Martin and Trudi Haughey of
this chapter. The tablet was of bronze set in pink granite,
near Highway 104, eight miles south of Evans, Georgia.
The dedication was accomplished with the help of the
Augusta, Georgia, chapter.
|History of the
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
|The history of Tampa dates back to the landing of Narvez in 1528. The name Tampa comes from the
Creek Indian word meaning Sticks of Fire.
Mrs. James A. Craig, State Regent of the Florida Society Daughters of the American Revolution, authorized,
with the approval of the National Board, the organizing of the Tampa Chapter, the second DAR Chapter in
the City of Tampa. On October 16, 1923, the National Board confirmed her appointment of Mrs. William
Liston (Janie) Moore as Organizing Regent. The first meeting of the original thirty-six members was called
at the home of Mrs. Moore on May 14, 1925.
In 2004, the Tampa Chapter placed a bronze DAR insignia on the gravestone of Mrs. Moore in recognition
of her contribution to the chapter, state and national organizations. The first 36 members of this chapter
Genevieve Brooker, Daisy Daniels, Julia Dickenson, Ada Edwards, Alleen Gates, Frances Gill, Harriet Gill,
Madeline Gill, Isabella Harrington, Pearl Harvey, Helen Hill, Esther Hosch, Jane Jones, Bertha Lee,
Cecile Lee, Virginia McArthur, Angie McKay, Janie McKay, Lena McKean, Virginia McMaster,
Ellen Mays, Janie Moore, Julia Norris, Mildred Perez, Caroline Rogers, Marye Schreiber, Dolores
Sarah Semonite, Eina Stanford, Florence Till, Lou Todd, Louise Truett, Josephine Trucker, Isabella Ware,
Margaret Watrous, and Kate Wood.
|Janie Pharr Moore
|Along with the other work accomplished in support of education, historic preservation, and patriotism, the
Tampa Chapter placed a marker on the Old Fort King Highway, which was surveyed over 158 years ago.
This marker is placed at the intersection of the Temple Terrace and Old Harney Roads on the road to
Thonotosassa. The triangle of ground was deeded to the Tampa Chapter by Mr. Roy Hinson. The marker
(pictured) is of bronze, erected on a base of flint rock which was taken from the supports of the Old Burnt
Bridge, which was one of the most historic spots on the Highway. It was across the Hillsborough River and
was burned by the Indians after the Dade Massacre. Fort King Highway was much traveled during the
Indian Wars of 1835 and 1856, between Fort Brooke and Fort King, which is now Ocala. It is maintained
by Tampa Chapter members.
|For several decades, a Constitution Day Luncheon was held in September hosting DAR members from
many other chapters who often included State Officers and State Chairmen. Each year, the chapter
distributes flags and flag code booklets to new US citizens at several Naturalization Ceremonies, and
recognizes high achievement and character in ROTC cadets at local high schools and colleges. Tampa
Chapter members have represented the NSDAR at the local VA Medical Center for many years, and the
chapter has participated in every Veterans Day Parade hosted by them. Tampa Chapter has sponsored
candidates for DAR Scholarships, and awarded the DAR Americanism Medal to Joan Schabacher, a
naturalized citizen who has made a major contribution to our community. The chapter has begun a program
of sponsoring bingo for the veteran residents at the James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital by bringing
refreshments and helping the patients with their bingo cards.